Instructions for Phoenix® E-1 and E-2 Electronic Gummed Tape Dispenser
- Remove the pressure sensitive tape holding the upper tape plate in place for shipping. (Tape plate is in back of cutting blade and surrounds the upper feed wheel.)
- Untie the top heater. (On top of wetting brushes)
- Remove water tank and brushes by lifting the front of the tank over the lip and pulling forward. Take note of how the brushes are inserted into the tank and make sure they go back in the same way for proper moistening.
- Wash the new moistening brushes (3 brushes) with soap and warm water. Thoroughly rinse brushes to remove all soap residues. Replace brushes in tank with the bevel edge of the brushes allowing the tape to go over full width.
- Untie and remove the water bottle. Fill with fresh water and replace. The water bottle sits on thumb screw which may be raised or lowered to adjust the water level in the tank. The heavier the glues on the tape, the higher the water level required in the tank for best adhesion of the tape.
- The top heater is adjusted by the knob on top. Start with a minimal heat, then adjust upward according to thickness of the glue on the tape and your desired speed of "set-up".
- Inside the back of the machine are 2 baffle type plates. (Tape Guides) These are adjusted in or out to fit the width of the tape. The farthest setting is for 3" and each notch that each side is moved inward reduces that by 1/2".
- Place the roll of tape between the tape guides and feed the tape over the black roller, over the silver roller, and then under the upper tape plate, until the tape reaches the back side of the cutting blades.
- Plug in machine. The Phoenix® electronic gummed tape dispensers operate only on 110/115 v, 60 cycle current.
- Turn on machine by depressing rocker switch on front of machine. The red light will come on.
- Numbers on keypad correspond to length in inches. Select the desired length from 6" up to 45". Remove tape and apply to the carton.
- The Phoenix E-2 machine has a special options button on the key pad. The Star (*) button is used with special ordered options.
How the star button works depends upon the optional equipment ordered with the machine.
If the optional foot pedal is used:
- By pressing the star (*) button and a key from 6" up to 45", each press of the foot pedal will dispense the selected strip of tape.
- Other keypad lengths may be selected without interfering with the "memory" of the foot pedal.
- To cancel, press the star key.
If you have the electronic eye (mounted in the control housing or remotely):
- By pressing the star (*) button and a key from 6" up to 45", each time the operator passes their hand in front of the "eye" the machine will automatically dispense the selected strip of tape.
- Other keypad lengths may be selected without interfering with the "memory" of the electronic eye.
- To cancel, press the star key.
Note: Depressing the star button on the E-1 will cause your next number push to not be dispensed, as the machine is not equipped with this feature.
Special Note: Turn off the machine when not in use. The top heater takes only moments to heat up, and this action will prolong the life of the moistening brushes and heater.