Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the best way to seal a box?
The adhesive on water activated gummed tape will permanently bond with the carton fibers and will show evidence of removal if someone tampers with it and offers the most secure method. Plastic tape is easily removed with a hair dryer or other heating device and in many cases shows no evidence of being removed. If you are packing high value items it pays to seal the boxes with the most secure tape.
2) What is the most cost effective way to seal a box?
- For the occasional application where only a few boxes are sealed, plastic tape and a hand held tape dispenser is the lowest cost option. Adding multiple strips of plastic tape will take extra time and expense.
- If you have a small shipping area with up to 20 cartons a day, a manual type of gummed tape dispenser offers savings in time and materials since gummed tape only requires one piece of tape to seal the carton.
- If you are sealing high value items or more than 15 cartons a day, the electronic gummed tape dispensers will save both time and materials since you will be able to dispense the correct length of tape without guessing.
- If you are closing hundreds of boxes a day of the same product, using conveyors and/or palletizing, an automatic case sealer may be the best option. Case sealers are available in both water activated gummed kraft tape and pressure sensitive tape either as a uniform or random box unit.
3) What is best? An electronic or manual tape dispenser?
Manual gummed tape dispensers are easily placed anywhere in a warehouse since they do not need electricity. The operator pulls the handle to dispense, releases the handle, removes the tape, and applies. Heaters are an option to help the glue reactivate but then you need electricity. With electronic tape dispensers the operator pushes a button, a premeasured length is dispensed and the operator removes it and applies it to the carton. Usually heaters are standard. The major advantages of the electronic dispenser are consistent tape dispensing speed with a heater to optimally moisten the tape and the tape savings by only dispensing what you need. It is estimated using an automatic dispenser will save 25% of tape.
4) What is the best model to get?
Depends on your application. There are advantages between the different model and life expectancy. We are available to discuss what features might benefit you the most. Most American made dispensers if properly maintained will give 8-12 years of good service. Replacement parts and service should also be considered since a machine will need service at some point. Over the life span you will service a machine 2-3 times before replacement. Make sure to buy from a source that offers parts and service.